12.30.2009

UPDATE

Dear Friends....First,,,THANK YOU for your prayers!!!! We have needed them and felt them. SECOND....Hudson has finally come around and seems to be fine. I will re-cap on what happened.

We typically drive straight thru from MN to TX but were not in a hurry and decided to spend the night in Kansas City and take the kids out for a nice dinner on the Plaza. We loaded up and left the hotel about 8:30 this morning. Hudson was fine, talking, laughing, etc but a bit cranky...nothing unusual as he had been up late the night before. I did think he looked really pale but.....not much thought to it. He was asleep within minutes. About 30 minutes down the road we stopped at a drive thru for breakfast. He didn't wake up, again, no big deal...Jordan and Madi were both sleeping too. About 10 minutes later back on the road I heard him moving and turned to check on him. He was turned to his left and appeared to be straining to see out the back side window...I said "Hud, what are you looking at"...he didn't respond, just kept staring out the window....Kailee then asked him if he wanted some hot chocolate and he shook his head "no"...he did have a sort of blank look on his face but again....Looking back on all of it now I KNOW he was starting to have his seizure then...
SO.. about 40 minutes down the road I turned to look at him (he was in his car seat between the girls). IMMEDIATELY I knew something was wrong....he had a strange fixed gaze at the ceiling in the car, he was a sort of green/yellowish color, his head had a strange tilt to the left and he wouldn't respond to me....I said "Something is wrong with Hudson" and Kailee and I quickly traded places. I yanked him out of car seat and he was limp and lifeless. His eyes were open but his eyeballs were fixed to the far left of his eyes and he would not respond AT ALL...I really think he wasn't breathing at the moment. As soon as I picked him up a large amount of foam spilled out of his mouth. I couldn't find a pulse and for a few minutes honestly thought "he is gone"...a hundred thoughts went thru my head but one that stands out to me was saying to my mom..."No mom....you can't be with him yet"...weird thought but that was what I thought...We were on the phone with 911.....we had NO idea where we were, what to do, who could help. The 911 dispatcher had us exit the next exit and sent an ambulance.....it was 15 minutes away.....SOO..here we were, in the middle of MO, at a gas station, I had Hudson outside walking with him in the parking lot hoping the cold would get him to come around a bit, the girls were sobbing, Jordan was praying, Mark was crying, praying......I KNEW I needed people to pray so handed him to Mark so I could call Pam....she didn't answer so I called my friend Jeni to get the prayers going.....no details, there were none to give, "just please pray".... a few very kind but very hick first responders got there and they looked like heavenly angels....at least someone was there to give him CPR if he needed it, I just didn't think I could. FINALLY the ambulance arrived and we headed back north 15 minutes to a little hospital. STILL no response, fixed eyes and stiff neck, all to the left....... It wasn't until we were in the hospital and they gave him something to pull him out of the seizure did he relax and fall asleep.

We are now at Children's Mercy in Kansas City, MO., transferred by ambulance. He just woke up in about the last hour, was hungry and is happy Hudson. What we know...CT scan is normal, chest x-ray is normal, blood work normal, good vitals. What we don't know...why?? The dr. talked at length with us.....lots of kids have seizures, lots of times they don't know why. When a seizure is short and just once they typically don't do much. They are a bit more concerned with Hudson for a few reasons...his seizure was really long, about an hour, or was a series of several, he had to be pulled out of it, and his Cleft......The neurologist wants to do an EEG in the am and really evaluate him as the Avatar/atavan (sp?) can hide symptoms. Mark's sister Tanya and her husband are on their way and they have a Ronald McDonald house where Mark and the kids can stay.

Seriously, five minutes before I turned to look at Hudson I was telling Mark how much I was looking forward to getting home and getting back to "normal" after our year. We are truly so grateful for the care that has been given to Hudson today.... After 17 1/2 years of parenting, this has been by far the scariest. The kids have been wonderful, they were all so scared and we couldn't really tend to them as we were consumed with Hudson. They sure love their little brother!!!

THANKS to all of you for your comments, emails, fb messages, and texts...We pray that all tests come back normal, this was a freak one time episode, and we can get home tomorrow.....

I'll keep you updated my friends!!!!

19 comments:

NiHao Nepal said...

I am glad that Hudson appears to be back to normal. We have been praying and will continue to pray. Keep us posted as you are able. And please text, call, or email if we can do anything!!

Lynda Lou Who said...

Oh my goodness Sharon! How scared you must've been!!! I'm glad Hud is feeling better and I will surely continue to pray (normal test results, one time episode, you and your precious family can go home soon and get your life back to "normal"). Thanking God for the care Hudson has received and continues to receive! <3

DiJo said...

Ugh! I am so sad I didn't see your previous post before now. Please know we will be lifting up that precious son of yours NOW!!!

Great big hugs from MN!

~diana

Jenn said...

Glad he is doing better. As soon as I read Pam's post I dropped to my knees and prayed for that sweet boy. He is such a special little fellow. I know that we are a long way away but if you need anything please let us know. Abby Grace sends her love so give Hudson a big one from her.
Love Ya-
Jenn

Jon and Debbie said...

Sharon....oh, my! My heart goes out to you since that had to be so hard to experience. Just know we are praying for Hudson in the South house. We all just adore that little boy!

georgiafulenwider said...

I'm praying!!! Love you!

Rachelle said...

WOW! I can't even imagine how scary that was for you all. Sending up prayers.

Mia said...

Sharon, I cant imagine going through this! I cried my eyes out just reading it! I am praying for you all, Calli too. She keeps asking if Hudson is still really sick and if we can pray for him. We love you guys!

Jody McGowan said...

Sharon,
We have dear family friends in Kansas City if you need anything. We will lift you and Hudson up. I will check on you tomorrow.
Hugs all around-
Jody

Unknown said...

Sharon - Just know there are a ton of people praying for Hudson and all of you. I pray for complete healing for Hudson and a peaceful nights sleep for all of you. Thank you for being so good about keeping us all updated. I so wish I could be there to help. Tanya was so sad the winter weather prevented them from getting there to help you guys.

Kathy Sedlacek said...

I heard from Madi what some of what was going on but didn't realize how bad it was until I read this. I can't even imagine how terrifying this experience has been for you all. I'll keep praying. Please update us with specifics we need to pray for. Love you, Kathy

Cary Wacker said...

Sharon,

We heard from Charis via text message this morning about Hudson and have been praying all day - got our small group praying too. We are thankful to hear that Hudson is better and we will pray for clear results from tests and a good journey home. Looking forward to having everyone back in Texas! We've missed you!

Cary

Kristi said...

Sharon,
I can't begin to imagine how terrifying today was for you. We were at the zoo and away from computers all day, but I'm praying now and will continue to lift up your sweet boy.
Kristi

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7

Christy Hickman said...

I'm so sorry, Sharon. My heart aches for you all. We are praying for Hudson as well as the rest of the family. Love to you all.
Christy

"...by His stripes we were healed."
Isa. 53:5

Kari said...

Sharon, we just got home and I was reading your blog and trying to understand what was going on...I was reading it out loud to Joel and my emotions got the best..this is unreal...God has certainly given you this little guy for so many reasons and continues to show you His strength. We love you...good news will come tomorrow...remember "Joy comes in the morning"

Denise said...

Oh Sharon, how scary! You have been through so much. I am praying here in Va...please keep us updated~

3 Peanuts said...

Hi SHaron.....Denise forwarded an e-mail to me letting me know about this. I am so sorry. It is very scary. Kate had two seizure like episodes early on and there is nothing scarier than watching your child go through that. I will pray fervently that you find a good neurologist in Dallas and that all goes well.

Twinkletoes said...

Visiting from Pearl and Ruby - keeping you and Hudson in my thoughts and prayers. My heart felt like it was in my through while I was reading this. I am so sorry.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Just found your blog and commented a moment ago but went back to read this post too. I mentioned that I am going through something similar with my dog. And again, I realize most will not think this the same thing. But this weekend I did some googling on homeopathic measures to take. And one of the tips on many websites noted that some seizures can be reduced or halted if you keep sugar levels regulated. So adding in snacks and even honey if you can sense a seizure coming on. All of this research on my end was for my dog- but a lot of what I read kept stating "as with humans..." I have zero medical knowledge. I don't even like watching hospital tv shows. But I encourage you to do a bit research to see if perhaps the sugar/honey when you sense him getting spacy thing might be helpful. There were also a lot of articles that mentioned temperature- ice packs helping to end them. Regardless, I hope your little guy is feeling much better!