7.28.2008

Surgery update

Well, surgery got started at 8 am this morning and we have just now settled into our room at 4 pm. Hudson is now doing well but we had a few scary hours after surgery.

When we talked with the surgeon this morning he told us along with his palate repair he planned to "lift" his nose and tuck-in his nostrils. That wasn't expected but he knows best. The surgeon expected to be in the OR about 2 hours. After 2 1/2 hours they called and told us it would be another 45 minutes or so. At about 11:15 he came and met with us and told us once he got in to lift his nose he discovered a muscle had been left unattached which he went ahead and attached. When he did this it made his lip revisions scars "pucker" which was a good thing (his words) because he was unhappy with how tight the revision was and this gave him the opportunity to bring in those scars and loosen up that lip. So...aside from his palate repair, he had a rhinotip-plasty and lip revision. He has no new scars as he opened up the old ones so they are re-stiched. He expected us to join him in recovery in about 10 minutes. Well, over an hour later we were still waiting when they finally called us. They let me go in first and I was NOT prepared for what I saw. When the nurse starts with "I'm not saying this to alarm you but..." you know it's not going to be good. Hudson was having a very difficult time breathing. His whole body was heaving trying to get in oxygen. They were having a difficult time getting him to wake up and were anticipating ICU. Wow! I was dreading that moment of him waking up but this was way worse. A total helpless feeling and I have to admit I was scared. What was worse is only one of us could be in at a time and I didn't want to be alone to watch it all. They kept suctioning him out, had oxygen on him and would have to pull on his "tongue stitch" when his tongue would obstruct his airway, at one point they taped it to his chin. The nurse said "I know this looks barbaric" and she was right!

I finally sneaked away long enough to talk with Mark, send out a couple texts and phone calls to my mom and Pam and I think heaven was flooded with prayers. It was a short time later when he started doing much better. They re-evaluated him and decided he was holding his own enough to avoid ICU!

He still hasn't woken up much and they are still having to suction him but he seems to be resting comfortably for the time being. His stats also go down quite a bit when he drinks which is due to the swelling in his throat and his tongue but he gets them up quick.

I have attached a couple pictures. He is pretty swollen but he has a nose! We had loved his sweet flat nose and were not prepared for such a change in his look but his nose looks beautiful. He has plugs in and stiches all over but we can't wait to see what his face will be like when the swelling goes down.

Thanks again for the many prayers. We still need them. I don't think the pain has set in yet and I am prepared for a long night but the scary time is over. I sure think about his surgery in China and what that was like for him. The nurses were so impressed with how he searched for us when we weren't there and immediately calmed down when I came in. Thank you Jesus!!!

14 comments:

Shonda said...

Thank you so much for the update!

Giant hugs,
Aunt Bee Bee

Anonymous said...

Thank you God for holding sweet little Hudson in the palm of your hands and for guiding the surgeon in repairing his lip, nose and palate. Please help him as he begins the healing process. Help it to go smoothly and quickly for him. Thank you so much that Hudson is finding comfort in Sharon & Mark.

I will continue praying for Hudson and all of you....Secret Sis

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you Lord for keeping Hudson safe! Sharon, you are all in my prayers! Love you, Mia

Jenn said...

So glad to know all went well. I can only imagine your fear when you heard those words. Still praying for the days ahead!
We still don't have a date for AG's surgery yet. Sure hope it is soon. Keep us posted on "Yu-Yu"
Love Ya-
Jenn

Kari said...

Poor little Guy! I believe the Lord put the right doctors in place with the right knowledge to make him better. We love ya'll and kiss him for us~

Casey Pettett said...

Glad to read the details... thanks for posting. I'm always so amazed at what these doctors can do! It's pretty unbelievable. I'm so glad the scary part is over for you. I will continue to pray for Hud as I fall asleep tonight. Love you guys! Case

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear the surgery is over. I will be praying for you all tonight.
Miss you,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

I am glad Hudson is out of surgery. You are in my prayers and thoughts. The doctors just told us today how we will miss their little noses as they are now. I hope he starts to feel better and he can rest easily.

Teri Prichard

Denise said...

So glad that everything went well and that his breathing quickly came around...thank you Jesus is right!

Keep us posted...love to you all~

Carla Lewter said...

So glad, he is out of harm's way. We are praying for you and Hudson. That is so wonderful that he trusts you so much already and looks to you guys for his comfort. That will make recovery easier. And even though more had to be done then originally thought, at least it was all done at one time:) Praying, Praying and looking forward to another update!

In Him,
The Lewters

Cheri said...

So glad to hear Hudson is doing well. Praying his recovery is fast and he has minimal pain. Sounds like you had some intense moments!

Unknown said...

We are praying for you guys!!! He is such a precious little guy. I am so thankful he has you and Mark as parents. We are all so blessed as a family to have him in our lives!

Love,

Aunt Cole

lisa said...

What a scary time for you. Sorry you had to go through it. We are continuing to pray. We love you.

melissa said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog with me. I am so blessed to have gotten to meet this little guy. This story is so touching to me. I still have tears in my eyes! God is so good! When we feel so helpless He is always there to help us.